Action templates are a way to create a series of tasks you often perform together.
For example, every week you have a sales and marketing meeting. Before that meeting, you need to update the spreadsheet with the latest sales figures, collect reports from the various salesmen, and write the status of all the tasks assigned in the previous meeting.
Action templates can be a great way to remind yourself of all those steps each week.
To create an action template:
- Go to the menu (upper right corner)
- Click "Your Workspace"
- Select "Templates"
- Scroll down to "+ Add new template"
- Name the template and provide a label if desired
- Add the actions, who you want to assign them to, and when you want them to occur. It will look something like the below. You cannot add subactions onto your action templates yet, but it is something we will be adding soon.
Then you just save the action template and you are done!
Setting due dates on action cards
To ensure deadlines are included when you apply an action template, make that the 'automatically add due dates' option is checked.
we will refer to the image above for the examples below
Assuming you have used only positive deadlines, there are two different scenarios to which deadlines will be applied:
1. Your action currently does not currently have a deadline
Since you have enabled deadlines and your action currently has no deadline, Hive assumes that you would like to work on the action beginning today.
I.e. If today is 1 Jan,
"Taking the first step" will be set for 1 Jan
"Taking the next step" will be set for 3 Jan
"Finishing it off" will be set for 5 Jan
2. Your action already has a deadline set
Since you have already applied the deadline to the action, Hive is smart to know that you need to complete the action by that specific date. Hive will "work backwards" and apply the deadlines accordingly.
i.e. If you have set the action card's deadline to 15 Jan before applying the template,
"Taking the first step" will be set for 11 Jan
"Taking the next step" will be set for 13 Jan
"Finishing it off" will be set for 15 Jan
Adding dependencies to the template
Not only can you automatically add deadlines, you can also set up dependencies. So if one step can't move forward without the completion of another, it can be useful to set one up.
Just click the "+ Add dependency" link. It will open a search box where you type the name of the step you want this step to be dependent on and select add. It will then show the dependency in bright yellow with the option to remove.
Adding an action template to a card
- Go to create tasks in My Actions and select "Template: None" in bottom right corner (see image below)
2. Click create and it will create the action with an action template as a series of sub-actions (see image below)
Adding multiple action templates to a card
You can now add multiple action templates to a single card.
- Apply the first action template to the card.
- Select a second action template from the dropdown list
- Hive will add in all of the sub actions, due dates, assignees, and attachments from the second action template. All data from the first template will also remain!