So often, you are waiting on someone else to do something before you can get started on your task.
You end up sending daily check-in emails to keep updated on their progress.
Or worse, you assume they will tell you when they're done only to find out they already finished a week ago.
Hive "Dependencies" feature solve this problem. Dependencies is a feature that must be enabled by your workspace admin. To enable dependencies,
- Select "Hive Apps" from your main menu
- Toggle Dependencies on, and voila!
Here's how the feature works:
There are two ways to add a dependency.
1) Adding it to an action card
- Open the action that needs a dependency (it can be either the action that comes before or after)
- Select +Add dependency
- In search box, type the name of the action you want to add. Actions from the current project will be listed first.
- Select whether the added action depends on your open action or the reverse
- Select Add
2) Connecting on a Gantt Chart
- Open a project in Gantt Chart
- Click the dot at the end of an action
- Drag to the beginning of the next action
To see what dependencies an action has, click to open the action. Dependencies (if any) will appear above the comments showing the relationship relative to that action.. Clicking on the dependent actions will open them up.
If the dependency is yellow, it means the action is unstarted. If it is green, then it has been completed.
If you are waiting for someone to finish something, you will get a notification to let you know they are done and you're ready to get started.
Just as there are two ways to add a dependency, there are two ways of removing one.
Deleting from the action card
- Click to open the action card with the dependency you want to delete
- Hover over dependency text
- Click the X
Deleting from Gantt Chart
- Open Gantt chart
- Click the yellow line of the dependency you want to delete
- A new window will open asking you to confirm you want to delete the dependency. You select yes.